Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Friend in an abusive relationship, feels everything is her fault, always feels she is over reacting. Suggestions?

Hello, my friend is in an abusive relationship and i am afraid i do not have enough information to help her! She believes she is the problem and she just needs to try harder and it is all her fault. She also believes that she is ment for a relationship with obvious abuse and she feels she is over reacting. Is there something i can have her read or any other resources i could use to help show her what i dont have to words to do?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your concern for your friend. Some people can have dependent personality traits which could be making it difficult to stand up for themselves, and so, have a tendency to kep accepting and tolerating abuse in a relationship. Sometimes, a chronic depression (dysthymia) can also result in negative thoughts and low self esteem. I think that your friend needs professional help.

I would advise you to take her to a psychiatrist or a psychologist for a detailed psychological assessment and further management. There are effective counselling and psychological techniques which can help her overcome her difficulties.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. From the information you provided, it appears that your friend could be harbouring pathological personality traits or suffering from chronic depression. Hence, i would suggest a thorough psychiatric evaluation for both depression and personality disorders before appropriate management is started. Both antidepressant medication and psychotherapy (eg cognitive behavioural therapy) are available to deal with the condition.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor