Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Bilateral dilated ureters and bilateral hydronephrosis, has stunts for blockage. Is it totally curable?

Hi My Son is now 17 years old, he has bilateral dilated ureters and bilateral hydronephrosis . He was getting very frequent urinary infection, so to address the issues, he got operated in India, he was born there, at his age of 9 year, and the his uereters were tailored to narrow at the bladder entry. After that the Kidneys became to normal size in about 2 years, and we monitor for 2 more years, through ultra sound scanning, everything was normal, till last year October, for almost 9 years. We moved to US in early 2005. Last year, October, he got pain in his left side of the kidney and after few hours we suspected it part of the old problem and rushed to hospital. it was diagnosed the left ureter is blocked. he has been on stunts in 2 different operations, with 2 different sizes and the entry was ballooned to enlarge. last month we got the final stunts removed. and he is under monitoring. From current ultra sound scan, both his kidneys are hydronephrosis, with right a bit more than left. Researching on web to know, if any way we can cure it for once for all. are there any better approach, treatments. Appreciate your help and guidance.
Fri, 6 Jul 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Sir/Madame

In case of a ureteric blockade (due to stone formation for instance) it is the treatment of choice to insert a stent and remove the stone either by breaking it or removing it directly. stents are left there to keep the ureters patents. whenever there is a blockade it is usual for the kidneys to develop hydronephrosis. I would need to know the exact cause of the blockade to comment any further. Assuming it was a stone, what type of stone was it? there are ways and medicines to prevent this from happening again. if you son had the same problem as he had in india, than that need to be fixed. for now i suggest you follow his condition very closely and monitor the situation with hydronephrosis. if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

take care of yourself and your son.

Thank you
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor