Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Big lump on the gum after dental filling fell off. Pain while swallowing and speaking. Need advice

hi- i had a filling that had fallen out about 2 years ago- i did not get it refilled- food was going into the gap but was washing out often. Now that i have started to use all in one mouth wash including protection from bacteria, i have got a big lump that has came out from the side on my gum, just by the side of were the filling was, before the last tooth on the upper jaw. The lump is touching with my tongue when i speak and swallowing food causing pain.

Could you please advice- i am registered with Pru Health private mediacl scheme too- but not dental service on it.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  334
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello there,

According to your history i can suspect your tooth has undergone infection since the cavity was not filled and such a cavity in the tooth exposes the dentin to oral environment and food lodgement in the area leads to bacterial infection.

The infection in the tooth has gone worse due to its spread to the underlying tissues that has lead to formation of lump like growth or a pus pocket.

The symptoms of pain and swelling needs to be subsided by a course of antibiotic and analgesics before starting treatment.

The infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure to devitalise it permanently and save the tooth or of the prognosis is poor the tooth can be extracted.

get an x ray done the affected area and approach a dentist for the treatment.

meantime you can start with antibiotic augmentin 625mg with analgesics two times daily, this helps in subsiding the swelling and pain.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

As you have mentioned you had a filling, due to food lodgement there is bacterial infection in the tooth leading to formation of abscess, this pus is drained into the periapical tissues forming a big lump near the gum line.

I would suggest you to get clinical evaluation of the tooth done, take an x-ray of the tooth,
Drainage of the abscess and Root canal treatment of the tooth is required.

Take tab amoxiclav 625mg and tab brufen twice for three days.
Take warm saline gargles 3-4 times, maintain good oral hygiene, continue with the use of antibacterial mouthwash.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,

The lump under the cavitated tooth is due to abscess formed at the periapical region.
Root canal treatment and drainage of pus has to be done.
Entire infected pulp has to be removed.
Take complete course of antibiotics too.
The tooth has to be restored finally.
Get dental check-up in every 6 months too.
You should be careful regarding your oral hygiene.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

your history suggests that you have developed an abscess in your upper jaw.

I would suggest you to visit your dentist and get a x ray done for the concerned tooth.

After reading the x ray, it can be judged whether the tooth can be saved by RCT or not.also the amount of tooth structure remaining has to be judged clinically,so that post RCT crown can be placed or not.

At present you must visit your dentist and get started with antibiotic and analgesic course.

meanwhile do warm saline rinse to localize the infection.later on the abscess has to be drained and then suitable treatment can be provided.

hope it helps.


take care.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor