Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Behavioural changes after dropped out of medical school. No help from psychiatrists. Worried about violence towards wife, baby. Suggestions?

Hi its regarding my elder brothers mental health .hes is a 35 yr okd,married for 10 yrs abd a 1 yr old baby.he does not work, has not finished univerdity rducation.highly intelligent,very shy,very violent has trouble controlling his I am his younger dis 3 yr younger snd have grown up together. Hes behavior changes took place after he dropped out of medical school after 1 st yr dedpite being a good student.he then camr back and lived with family in ineraction with outside world and very suicidal. Hence bomy mum and dad listened to every thing he said or wanted. And covered his behavior wuth family.however some family mrmbers were approached snd came to concil after ehivh he was mire violent.also haf a pschycatris come to examin and prescribef anti depressants of which sone were discretely mixed wiyh foof and coz my mum worrued about sude effects stopped giving addition to this he showed signs od sadism and vulgarity and urge if having sec and dirty thougjts .due to tjis mt parents took him ti ibdia to get narried .byt he had to work in dads shop for 1 year. He marrief a lively girl and settled togethet. And contnued working at the shop fr one mmore year. Aafter whuch he stopped and had been at hime ever since.hus eife had brrn worrief because if his vuolance towards ger byt dedpite that she had a baby and us worrued about vuolence toeards parents to mske mattets worde spoon feed him by giving money minthly as they are scared uf they dont di so he will get worried fir my parents and my dis in law n baby pls help
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand that your brother's situation is complicated and it is giving his, you and your family a lot of heartache. It is understandable that you are quite worried about the whole situation. I am unsure of what the current living situation is for your brother. It would be very well to consult a psychiatrist or a qualified psychologist in your brother's case. It seems like he does require both medications and therapy. More needs to be known in terms of his symptoms and this can only be elicited during a direct interview with the patient. I hope this helps.

Take care and keep posted.
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern for your brother's problems. From the brief description of his symptoms, it appears that he may be suffering from a psychiatric disorder, probably a psychotic disorder. However, he needs a detailed evaluation and psychological assessment to arrive at a definitive diagnosis.

Since, you say that he gets violent and may be putting his wife and baby at risk, I would strongly suggest that you take him for teatment. Sometimes, if he is refusing treatment or is uncontrollable, he may have to be admitted and treated against his wishes. There are effective treatment options - in the form of medication and psychological therapies which can control his problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor