Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Back pain, MRI shows disc bulge. How to get relief?

hello doctor i am a 24 year male from India and my MRI report of date 29/jan/2009 says [u][b] Diffuse L3/4, L4/L5 disc bulge along with primary lumbar canal steno-sis compressing thecal sac & bilateral eciting nerve roots [/b][/u] sir i am suffering from back pain from several year it was ok from last two years but from last one month it is in very bad condition .i am a software engineer so have to sit in front of computer for mor than 8 hrs a day.i am 6 feet tall six months back my weight was 90kgs i was overweight then i started losing my weight by diet control and running on treadmill and different cardio exercises along with abs exerciser with some push ups and pull up and chin ups and littel bit of weight training and then i loss around 20 kgs in 3.5 months till that point of time i was feeling very confident about my back pain i thought that it has gone away with my extra weight and then i started building muscles with different weight training exercises at this time there was no back pain and i was ver very happy after a month my back started paining that too very badly then i stooped working out and started stretching at home which i learned from physiotherapist and internet got some referee from pain then again i workout a littil bit again it come back now i had stop working out and doing stretching at home but pain is still there can you guide me what should i do what kind of workout is good for me, what specific exercises i should not do and i really want to be fit and built a some muscles because i had started looking very thin as i am so young but not able to do that please doctor help me out plz guid me what should i do and how will i get ride of this pain and what are the thing i should not do at all and kind of treatment will help me to get back to my normal life routine i mean my office and gym without pain can you tell me what short of treatment or medicine will get me relief from this pain and last time i visit a spine doctor he ask me to bend forward and then examine my back and then he said that u r fine u should do some exercise that too very slowly and and died not give me any kind of medicine
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Spine Surgeon 's  Response
Dear Ajay,

You have two level disc degeneration, which is probably the cause of your back pain.
Do you have any leg pain also or is it only back pain you are suffering from?
If it is only back pain, then treatment will be mostly in the form of physiotherapy. You can take a short, continuous course of pain medications, but definitely not for long time as they are harmful.
You should avoid tread-mill and weight training exercises. They will do more harm to your back.
Swimming or stationary cycle is good.
Surgery is the final answer to these kind of problems, and usually gives good result, however you are very young to have this kind of surgery, also you need to try a proper course of physiotherapist to see the real benefit out of it.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Amit Sharma
Answered: Wed, 10 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor