• question-icon

Anemia, low hematocrit with blood in stools. Had liver transplant previously. Treatment?

I am a 62 yr old male . I had a liver transplant in 2002 and have been in very good health since it was performed. I had some labs done recently and they showed that I had anemia and low hematocrit with blood in stool . The blood was not visible to the naked eye. What is the treatment for this and how serious is it. I am going to talk to my transplant co-ordinator tomorrow but I would like some kind of idea tonite to calm my wife down. Thand
Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thank you for using healthcare magic

Congratulations on your 10th year of transplantation. In order to determine the cause of anemia, more laboratory studies will be required such as iron studies, thyroid panel, B12, folate level etc. your anemia may be multi-factorial and review of all of the above data would be required to determine an exact cause.

Since you have blood in the stool (occult blood based on what you're describing) and you are a recipient of a solid organ maintained on transplant medications, you require a colonoscopy [if not done recently] and possibly an endoscopy to delineate the source of the blood.

Your issues can not be graded as serious or not without more information. For example blood in the stool with anemia can represent anything from peptic ulcer disease to hemorrhoids or diverticular disease.

Take care and be well
General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It seems that this result has nothing in common to your liver transplant history. Anemia with positive FOBT usually is the sign of either large intestine polyp or large intestine cancer. Especially if there is no black stools or fresh blood in stool. Some other symptoms of colorectal cancer are abdominal pain, weight lost, constipations or diarrheas.
It is advisable for you to have colonoscopy performed to rule it out.

Hope this will help.
Regards.