Suggest treatment for rectal cancer

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Thu, 7 Sep 2017 in Cancer
Question: my mum has rectal cancer. she has had 25 sessions of chemoradiotherapy. I have creamed my mum's bottom and today there is like a visible lump at the top end of crack coming out of bottom. I am scared the tumour is spread and I can see it. do you think this is the case please help I am worried sick
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be abscess

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic.

Colorectal cancer is unlikely to spread to the skin. However, possible abscess (collection of pus) needs to be ruled out. Confirmation requires a physical examination.
It would be helpful if you could upload a picture of the lump if possible. Sometimes radiation can therapy can also cause basal cell carcinoma (BCC) of skin.BCC does not spread and is easily treatable. Clinical examination is warranted at this point.

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
I only have this letter attached do you see mum's cancer be curable and what stage please?I can't send a picture as mum wouldn't let me. With a low rectal tumour would I be able to see it. Who do I ring for advice and evaluation would it be GP, cancer specialist or the gastoenterology key worker?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I have gone through the reports.
According to the reports your mother is diagnosed with low rectal cancer up to the internal shincter. However, low rectal cancer will not be visible outside the anal canal. The lump you noticed is unrelated to the rectal tumor.
Other possibilities like an abscess needs to be ruled out. You can follow up with a GO to get the lump evaluated.

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi