how soon thyroid level be rechecked if high (7.9) 23
about high TSH:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your daughter's health.
The TSH level is slightly elevated but can not be the cause of a severe depression. It might have caused weight gain.
She should have started levothyroxine after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and after 6 weeks we recommend to check TSH to be sure that the dose of levothyroxine is the right one.
If she didn't start treatment, i would recommend to start treatment than to check it again, because without treatment it will persist high.
Do not hesitate to ask if you have still queries.
that said her first thyroid test was in december. is it fine to wait for second test until early to mid february?
About high TSh and depression;
In every patient with depression is recommended to be checked the thyroid function, as it may play a role in worsening it or make it "resistant" to treatment.
The level of TSH you reported is not very high but anyway should be corrected.
6 weeks after starting treatment is the appropriate time to check it.
No need to wait, check it at every time;
You can check TSH every time if the doctor doubts the result. There is no need to wait a certain time.
If it persists high (it should persist if she didn't treat it) , treatment should be started.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes blurred vision, digestive issues and dizziness when...
- What causes weight gain and heat intolerance while on Synthroid,...
- Suggest treatment for weight gain when diagnosed with adrenal fatigue
- What causes hyperthyroidism?
- What are the side effects of long term intake of Aspirin?
- What do anxiety and palpitations and TSH level of 3.0 indicate?
- Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement
- What causes increased weight gain with abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and dizziness in a hypertensive person
- What are the possible effects of switching from Humalog to Novolog?