X ray report said LS bone is not straight. Doing twisting exercise. Not cured. Other option?

Dr. Rajesh Gajwani

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Doctor,

Two weeks back I was doing twisting exercise with the small rotating plate for tummy and suddenly felt something in my lower back, consulted with Ortho and he examined and then asked me to take xray, took it then he said LS bone is not straight and also back muscle also week. He asked me to do couple of exercise and prescribed Altraday tablet one in the morning for 10 days, Apart from that I am taking Hot pack in my lower back.

Doctor said that continue these two exercises and you will be fine.

Now Almost 2 weeks over, still am not recovered 100%. Some time feel nothing in my back and some time getting unusualness ( will not say it is pain but some kind of putting some heavy weight on my back) in my back. My question is, this is because of only muscle issue. or may be some disc issue.

I would like to get your suggesstion on this please.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 2 hours later

After reading your symptoms, I feel that the problem / discomfort you are feeling are due to muscle issues.

You should continue with the exercises which your doctor has suggested but I would strongly recommend you to also visit a physiotherapist and get diathermy and physiotherapy for 3 weeks.
You will feel better, but these problems take longer than a couple of days; therefore 3-4 weeks is normal. I do not think you have any problem in your disc as you don't have any symptoms for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If there are any more queries, I’ll be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 18 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Now I am kind of relieved from the worries.

I would like to clarify couple of things with you.

During my first consultation with Ortho, he adviced not to lift any weight, no forward bending. So far I have followed, and it is very difficult to continue as some times need to carry some small weight from super/Vegetable market. Is there any limit I can lift like 5/10 kgs or something.

Also if I do bend forward, will it be a problem for heeling my muscle.

Advance Thanks

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 9 hours later

There is no prescribed weight restriction and it varies from individual to individual. Ideally I would advice you not to pick too heavy objects as the healing would be faster.

Bending forward is alright provided you do not feel any pain or strain in your muscles.

Hope you feel better soon.