• question-icon

Would excessive alcohol consumption cause hyper-urination?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: hello.

I am 43 male. I weight 230 at 6.3. my blood pressure is 128/83. bpm is 75. I had a boutique of hyperkalemia this morning. I had irregular heartbeat after a night where I drank a 6 pack and smoked a few cigs. I believe I urinated so much that I lacked electrolytes. I drank gatorade and they went away. does this sound plausible?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Highly unlikely due to excess urination.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand the concern.

Too much drinking (6 packs) can cause hyper-urination but it is highly unlikely that this may also cause hyperkalemia (excessive potassium in blood) or lack of blood electrolytes.

However,it might be possible when someone is taking potassium sparing diuretics which it is not in your case.

Since your symptoms has gone now after drinking gatorade energy drink but I will suggest you to undergo EKG and serum electrolytes (sodium,potassium) when you have symptoms like irregular heart etc.

Also,better to avoid too much alcohol and smoking. Light drinking on some good occasion is not so harmful.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 32 minutes later
Might i have been dehydrated? even as my pulse was normal. I felt skips or fluttering followed by a weakness feeling in my stomach area. now after hydrating and eating it seems to be gone.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be mild dehydration.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the immediate reply.

Yes,there could be mild dehydration but there is no possibility of hyperkalemia here.

In fact this kind of symptoms I typically see in my patients after heavy drinking,so you can continue with energy drink and maintain adequate hydration (take plenty of water) throughout the day.Also take light diet for couple of days.

Mostly this kind of symptoms subside within 24 to 48 hours,so no need to worry about much.

And as i said earlier,better to avoid too much drinking and smoking. You can have light drinking on some good occasions which is not so harmful or troublesome.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply. I will do what you have suggested.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Dr. Sandip Kabra