Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth removal, numbness and pain in tongue, disfigured face when talking, watering eye

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 176 Questions
I got removed my widom teeth last wednesday.
I still have numbness and pain in my toungue and when I am talking my face is getting shape out.
water is coming out from my right eye.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Thanks for asking your query.

Usually wisdom tooth extraction causes numbness and pain in the area of the extraction/surgical site and the pain subside in a couple of days, whereas as the numbness goes as soon as the effect of the anaesthesia wears off.
Pain may take some time to ease completely until healing occurs.

Sometimes, a nerve gets injured while injecting the local anaesthetic leading to loss of sensation in the tongue of that side, muscles of the injected side get drawn towards the normal side causing pulling of the face to one side(shifting of the face). This may get to normal by a week to ten days and in some cases even take months.

With wisdom tooth removal there should not be any connection to the eye i.e.: tooth extraction ideally does not affect eyes. Perhaps due to the numbness of your tongue and facial muscles, your eye muscles are getting agitated leading to lacrimal fluid seepage from your eyes.

For such cases with nerve injury, Vitamin B12 is prescribed as it helps in regeneration/healing of the injured nerve. I would recommend you to visit either your dentist or an oral surgeon for examination.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Wisdom teeth removal, numbness and pain in tongue, disfigured face when talking, watering eye 9 hours later
Thanks for your reply,
I think, as you said my nerve got injured and I dont have control on my right hand side of the face.
It would be great help if you can suggest any doctor in bangalore.

Thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Once again thanks for your query.

Any good oral surgeon should be able to help you with your problem. If required you can search for one on XXXXXXX doctors section (like look for dentists/oral surgeons in Bangalore).

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at this link

If you have any more questions, I’ll be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor