Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Will pool water infect cyst behind ear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Will pool water infect my cyst behind my ear, just popped it a day ago
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The image you have posted seems to be an infected sebacious cyst. It is not possible for the pool water to infect the cyst; it could be just a co-incidence.

Sebaceous cysts are small bumps that develop beneath the skin on your face, neck, trunk, etc. They are usually slow-growing and often painless. They arise from the glands that secrete oily matter that lubricates hair and skin (sebaceous glands). As the collection inside the cyst increases it becomes tense and infected, sometimes it can burst out due to increased pressure.

For the time being, you can squeeze and remove the contents of the sac, and also keep the area clean. You can try taking some antibiotics such as amoxycillin or cefuroxime to control the infection. Consult your doctor for complete evaluation and excision of the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor