Can Cefuroxime and Omeprazole be taken together for cough in an elderly patient?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 75 yrs old and have had bypass surgery and 1 stent put in .I had my bypass surgery at 49 yrs old and my stents at 59 yrs old. I still work 1 day a week and very active. I take the following medications:
Pravastatin40 mg, AmLoDIpine Besylate 5MG,Lisinopril 40MG, Atenolol 50 MG, OMEPRAZOLE 20 mg A
80MG aSPIRIN, I take these once a day. My question is i developed a bad cough Friday Nov 24 I started taking zertec and using my NetI -Pot, I also started taking 500 mg of Amoxicillin, Yesterday I started spitting up yellow mucus and was a little better but was really hoarse , had bad headache so i decided I needed to go to Dr. since I had been on the Amoxicillin 5 days I should be getting a lot better. I could not see my Primary Dr he was out of the office so I saw a nurse Practioner, She gave me a steriod shot and wrote a prescription for Cefuroxime 500 MG Tablets but i started reading the side effects and also it says if you are taking Omerprazole it will interact with the drug. it also says if you are over 65 it could cause serious side effects. I am very sensive to medication so I have not started the medication yet. I am just scared of what it might do. What are your thoughts? Sorry this is so long.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You can take cefuroxime twice daily for 5 days. As you are already taking amoxicillin without any side effects, cefuroxime belongs to a group with lesser chances of side effects. Side effects are common when the medicine is taken for prolonged use.
Also take hexidine gargles and tablet vitamin c once daily.
Take a cough syrup.
Take steam inhalation.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj