Will lack of nurturing during childrens' growing years affect their mental health?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am a 55 year old woman with mental illness. Since I was about 8 to 24 my family ex-communicated me. Each time I would approach a family member like mom I would say I am growing up into a young woman I need someone to talk to about some issues I am having she would say talk to your sister. When I get to her house she wouldn't talk to me either. My cognitive thinking is all dis=shelved.. I just would like to confirm from my own analysis that if you don't nurture a young child to adulthood when the brain is forming you can create mental health issues in the future. True or False?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.

This is absolutely true. The early childhood environment is a time we learn how to form connections with people, and how to deal with stress in a healthy way. If children are neglected or grow up in dangerous or unhealthy environments, they are at much higher risk of diseases like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, substance use disorders, among other things.

My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX psychiatrist working in New York City. For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, or individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T