Can Gabaneuro be taken for bipolar disorder?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Sir I m taking 2.5mg clonazepam +10mg zolfresh+400mg quetiapin plain+Gabaneuron 600mg SR and I got sufficient sleep and no fatigue. So should I continue
this dosage ?is Gabaneuro 600 mg SR is good for my bipolar disorder or sleep disorder?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can continue to take these medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

If you had significant sleep issues and are now stable with these medicines then you can continue to take these medicines without any doubts.

You are on high dose of Clonazepam and if your sleep is good then the dose of this drug can be reduced gradually to 2 or if needed 1.5 mg.

Gabaneuro is Gabapentin and is not a drug for bipolar disorder. This can be used for fatigue, numbness, nervous issues and sometimes also for sleep. The drug is safe to use and you can continue to take this drug.

Thanks and Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 25 minutes later
Sir than should I reduce clonazepam up to 2 or 1.5 mg?But sir I have been taking 2mg clonazepam from 1998.may I increase zolfresh up to 15mg to reduce clonazepam?Or should I increase qutiapin plain up to 500 mg ?Should I continue Gabaneuron 600mg as it is very helpful to my brain work? Please guide me so that I could live better life with XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reduce the dose gradually.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes you can reduce the dose gradually to 2 mg over 4 weeks. You can reduce very minimal dose like 0.25 mg for two weeks and then again reduce the same dose. This will help to minimise the withdrawal effects.

No need to increase the Zolfresh to 15 because in such situation there will be no benefit of reducing the Clonazepam.

No need to reduce Quetiapine to 500 mg which will increase the risk of side effects.

Yes you can continue to take Gabaneuron.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
which medicine can be substituted with zolfresh I.e other than benzodiazepines group?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zopiclone can be tried.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Zolfresh is not a benzodiazepine drug.

Other drugs similar to Zolfresh are Zopiclone or Eszopiclone. These can be kept in choices.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 days later
Sir PL.reply mf
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Zolpidem 12.5 should be tried.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Zolfresh 12.5 mg (Zopid ER, Stilnoct SR, Goodnoct SR 12.5) should be started. This will help in maintenance of sleep and should prevent night time awakening. Zopiclone, Eszopiclone are other options.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D