Can work be resumed when cognitive skills are improving in a bipolar patient?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have Bipolar Disorder I. I am a 50 year old attorney who qualified for disability (for bipolar) several years ago. I hope to return to work and I have been volunteering and taking courses on returning to work as an attorney after time out. I had a psychiatrist tell me that if I experienced chest pain (apparently musculoskeletal) in connection with a visit to the home of a woman and her physically and cognitively disabled daughter who I was helping as a volunteer attorney, I should "not try to practice law." I did not even see the client that day as the stress was mostly caused by a very unusual configuration of streets near her house (no entry streets and almost a labyrinth). I did not have a GPS or smartphone, so I am going to acquire one of these. I no longer see that psychiatrist.

When I had chest pain, I recognized that I should go to an urgent care facility, and I saw the cardiologist the next day. He seemed to say that a little musculoskeletal chest pain is not a big deal (not your field, I know). I addressed my chest pain responsibly and went back to the client's home a few days later. My question is: What is your opinion about an intelligent person with an attorney license and bipolar disorder just giving up on going back to work in her field? (Besides the obvious lesson that I should get a smartphone).
Mon, 21 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think your decision have rationale

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

As I can see that there is gradual progress on your part in form of volunteering, taking courses, assisting the needy ones, self assessing to decide the working capacity and the pattern of writing indicates that the cognition is in good shape, I feel your decision to return back to practice should be respected.

If I have been your doctor I would have recommended you to go back to work with certain limitations such as number of hours (not more than four to sex hours in a day), taking care of medications and asking for assistance whenever required, and stress management.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.