Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Why is the widal test repeated after already having typhoid?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Male 43 Yrs. Had Typhoid in Oct 2009. Now on 31st July'11 had fever, cold and cough and went to doctor who got me to do Widal Test which shows T value at 1: 80 and H 1:160 the other 2 readings are 1:40. So do I have Typhoid again and is it a concern for re coccurance in 2 yrs. He changed my medicine from Locof which he gave previous day to Mahecef @2pills each in morn and evening for 5 dayts and asked me to come again. I generally feel worried most of the time and am unable to sleep pl help.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Widal test does give us an idea about the presence of typhoid.

However, it is the rising titre on repeating the widal test which gives us a better idea about the typhoid.

The gold standard test for typhoid is blood culture. Hence, my sincere suggestion to get the blood culture also done.

The commonly used drugs are a combination of cefixime or cefpodoxime and oflaxacin. These antibiotics are usually used for a duration of at least a period of 10 days.

Mahacef contains cefexime which is good drug for treating typhoid.

A complete blood count should also be done and usually in the typhoid fever, there is no rise of white cell count which is normally seen in other infections.

The lack of the rise of the white cell count in typhoid is called relative leucopenia.

Please consult your physician for a definitive treatment as it is not possible to to treat online.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor