Why is endoscopy done for hepatitis C?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Mon, 2 Jun 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: yES, AS A MATTER OF FACT, PLEASE....WHY WOULD AN GASTROENTOLOGIST ORDER AN ENDOCOPY ON MY INSTEAD OF TREATING THE hEPATITIS C WHICH HE ALREADY KNOWS IS THERE, ALONG WITH MY INFLAMMED LIVER?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cirrhosis?

Detailed Answer:
if you have cirrhosis due to your hepatitis C he might be looking for esophageal varices (these are varicose veins that bulge in the esophagus, and can get big without giving you any symptoms, until these burst and bleed!).
if you are having any symptoms (such as abdominal pain), he would want to make sure you don't have any gastric or duodenal ulcers as the cause of the pain.
Hepatitis C should not cause any pain itself.
The treatment for hepatitis C can be potentially rough (although newer medications are available), and your doctor needs to make sure you are in good shape to tolerate it, particularly if you are going to get interferon injections as part as the treatment. hope that helps.