Why does artery blockage require the patient to consume 1.5 litres of water?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question:
My father got a heart attack on 16th nov we though it was acidity and latee when the pain agreevated we came to the hospital by the time we wasted 5 hours . Doc went for angiography and quickly for angioplasty to fix the 100%blockages but still the report says there is an artery which is 90%blocked. He experienced chest heaviness and litte pain amd heavy acidity vomitting post the surgery meaning the next day. We have vot discharged from.the hospital yesterday and now my father is feeling breathless at night while lying down and there is beep kind of sound when he is far asleep.
Also doc has advised to have onpy 1.5 litres of water i want to know the reason for the same

My query is we did his eco on 16th when he got the attack where the lvef was 35% and we did the eco yesterday while getting discharged his lvef was the same as 35%.
I am really concerned as i have read on the net that low lvef is sign of danger and heart attack.

Can you please advice attached are the reports

Doc has given today palnep and cardivas to cure that but till now as well his heart rate has nkt reduced
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:

As you mentioned, he seems to have blockages in 2 arteries in heart. One of it became 100 percent and gave him heart attack. Also, there is risk that this 90 percent may give him heart attack in the future, so it should also be treated with angioplasty. But medicine which he must be receiving like Aspirin, clopidogrel and other other which you mentioned, will reduce the chance of heart attack.

Due to these blockages, there is decreased blood supply to heart and heart function decreases, which is about 35 percent in him. Normally it's more than 55 percent. Now, this decreased function will not improve significantly as damage is already done and other steps like angioplasty And medicines will prevent further decline in heart function.

Due to decreased heart function, there is the accumulation of water in the lungs which gives rise to breathlessness. That's why doctor advised reducing total fluid intake which includes water, juices, tea, coffee, everything liquids. So he should reduce all kind of fluids intake till his breathlessness resolves. Even he should decrease it to less than a liter till this resolves. Planep increases water excretion in urine and removes this water.

So he should continue his medicines, reduce fluid intake.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee