Can Indomethacin be taken along with Aspirin and Clopidogrel?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have 2 Coranary heart stents. Left decending artery. Will the pain reliever drug indomethician be ok to take?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I would explain that indomethacin may increase the effects of aspirin and clopidogrel.

For this reason, I would recommend taking it not at the same time of the day, but in a distance fo 6-8 hours from aspirin or clopidogrel intake.

I would also advice taking care of your stomach while taking indomethacine, as it can trigger gastritis. An antiacid would help in such case.

Anyway, indomethacin should be used only in case of a musculo-skeletal pain (limbs or back, headaches, etc.).

If you are experiencing chest pain, especially if triggered by physical activity, I would recommend consulting with doctor and performing cardiac enzyme levels and a resting ECG, to exclude myocardial ischemia.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri