Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Which specialist should I consult for additional reconstructive surgery that will enable to bend my knee to the maximum extent?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
My name is XXXXXXX XXXX from Waukee, Iowa. I am 65 yrs old. Had reconstructive surgery in 1966, 1967, and 1974. I need a new knee joint - this has been confirmed by a orthopedic dr. who is only interested in supplying me with on. What I also need and is just as important to me is additional reconstructive surgery to help me be able to bend my knee more than just 75 degrees. I believe that can happen but need to talk to a Dr. who specializes in muscels, tendons, and legiments as well. I am seeking one that has that capability. I have all three surgery histories, and recent x-rays.I know enough to say that I want to work with a specialist that uses only the XXXXXXX & Nephews joint as well as a instrumentation service such as their Visionaire process. Is there such a specilaist that can help me with both issues, and if so, who is he/she, and where is their office, and hospital locations that they work out of?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The stiffness and restriction of movement that you are having after any surgeries is difficult to relieve completely after so any years. The release procedures and reconstruction is usually done at a younger age. The restriction of the movement could be due to age related degenerative changes in the joint also. To find a specialist who can specifically help you there are different surgeon directories that may be able to help you. These web sites would help locate doctors in different specialities such as joint replacement surgeries in your specific area. The doctors would be listed according to their address. Some of these are: (1) the American medical association -doctor finder (2) WWW.WWWW.WW (3) WWW.WWWW.WW (4)web md physician directory These are all online doctor directories and would help you find a doctor to meet your needs. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Which specialist should I consult for additional reconstructive surgery that will enable to bend my knee to the maximum extent? 52 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX First of all, are you a Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes in knee replacement and reconstruction? You state in your answer above, "The restriction of the movement could be due to age related degenerative changes in the joint also." If you would please re-read the medical history that I provided above you will see that I had normal flex (bending of my knee joint) until I was operated on the second time in 1967. During that operation Dr. Miller of Fargo, ND did something in surgery that physically made it impossible to bend my knee - this has nothing whatsever to do with age related degenerative changes. It totally has something to do with what he did incorrectly!! I have the notes from all three surgeries including the one where after I could no longer bend my knee - perhaps these notes could tell someone like yourself what could have caused this. I could send a copy to you or one of you Orthopedic Knee Surgeons. For sure what I need (and desire) to help me is; 1) a new knee joint. From the information I have attained through studing all the new joints available to you Dr's, I have chosen a XXXXXXX and Nephews Joint having the Verilast Technology, provided in conjucntion with their Visionaire Technology and instrumentation. 2) I also need a recommendation for a Orthopedic Surgeon who is very familiar with what was done to my knee in the second operation to cause my knee not to bend, and correcet this physical problem. I know this is possible - maybe not during the same surgery, but it can be done. Please review my above medical history that I provided before and recommend a Orthopedic Surgeon or Surgeons who could provide me with the best results for both replaing my knee with a XXXXXXX & Nephews knee and reconstruct my knee so I can bend it more than 110 degrees. Sincerely and respectfully, XXXXXXX Bell
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Knee replacement is an option for you. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. I have gone through all the history provided by you in detail. I am an orthopedic surgeon with a specialist training in joint replacement. The restriction of movement happened in 1967 after the surgery that was not relieved after the reconstructive surgery done in 1974. Since you have a restricted movement in the knee joint for so many years a knee replacement can help you but the extent of recovery cannot be assured before the surgery. The selection of the knee best for you depends on the position of your knee which can be ascertained after a physical examination and various investigations. The surgeon who will be best for you in your area can best be decided by an orthopedician in your area. I do not personally know any specialists in that in field in USA since I am from India. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor