When is cervical stitch advised during pregnancy?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I had late miscarriage on 17th week of pregnancy ,had abdominal contractions and fetus had come out ,Doctor didn't tell what exactly the reason for my previous miscarriage,Now again I am pregnant of 12th week,consulting same Doctor as she know my history ,she suggested me for cervical stitch during 4th month,Can u please tell is it necessary ,if it is then how exactly they will carry that procedure,can i do my job or other regular work after stitch
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cervical stitch is necessary

Detailed Answer:

The miscarriage was likely due to short cervix.

Cervical stitch is best method to prevent this problem.

Cervical stitch is done under general anesthesia in operation room. This is a small procedure where cervix is stitched around to make it narrow and prevent abortion.

This stitch can be removed just before delivery to make delivery easier. This can also be removed if delivery pain starts earlier.

You can work regularly after stitch.

I hope your doubts are cleared.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.