Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

When does the level of eosinophil increase?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hello, I recently had a skin biopsy and the result came back stated that I have a high level of eosinophil. On top of that, my skin developed lots of red bumps/rashes and my skin is extremely sensitive. They get extremely itchy and I don't know what to do. The derm. prescribed me with clobetesol and acetonide ointments but they don't help much. I'm thinking that I may be infected by some sort of parasites because the rashes/bumps come and go, but recently I have a major break out. Each time I get them, it takes more than months, even up to a year for it to heal. When it does, it leaves behind a dark scar. Are there tests or procedures that can be done to determine if there is anything in my body? What should I do, please advise. Thank you!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Eosinophils are white blood cells active in allergic diseases, parasitic infections, and other disorders.

It can be increased in the following diseases;
1. Asthma
2. Autoimmune diseases
3. Eczema
4. Hay fever

You can do the following tests to identify the cause for the eosinophilia such as parasitic infections, hay fever etc. These are –a full blood count, biochemistry, serological tests, ECG, lung function, chest and abdominal CT scans.

You can also get some advanced test on the advice of your Dermatologist and General physician;
Cytogenetic analysis and presence of various genes including the FIP1L1- PDGFRA gene, BCR-ABL and TEL- PDGFRB gene, immunophenotyping of T cells, T-cell-receptor gene rearrangements, Bone marrow aspiration, Bone marrow trephine biopsy, B12 levels, IgE and IgM.

If the rashes are too itchy you can apply Calamine lotion and use Actidil syrup twice a day.

You can try to prevent yourself from skin sensitivity by following the below advice;
1. Avoid Variety of both natural and man made chemicals found in fragrances.
2. Excess use of antiperspirants, astringents, carpeting, cosmetics, disinfectants, dry cleaning, insulation, medications, paints, insecticides, plastics, rubber, permanent-press fabrics, wood composites such as particle board and plywood
3. Avoid wool and lanolin Chemicals used in pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
4. Avoid Cyanoacrylates used in glues.
5. Capsaicin from hot peppers.
6. Menthol and peppermint
7. Alkalis in detergents and toilet cleaners.
8. Gold and Silver metals
9. Rubber latex.

1. Keep skin moisturized.
2. Use sun screen and reduce sun exposure.
3. Test cosmetics before a full application. Hypoallergenic means less likely to cause a reaction.
4. Avoid Lanolin and harsh soaps.
5. Avoid skincare with propylene glycol and ethanol (alcohol) which penetrate the skin.
6. Reduce or eliminate the use of perfumes.
7. Humidify heated inside air.

Hope my answer is adequate,I am available for further follow up should you have anymore concern.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: When does the level of eosinophil increase? 11 hours later

I have forgotten to mentioned the that majority of the rashes/bumps occurred directly over my blood vessels. So of all the tests you have listed above, do you think if it is best for now that I go get a full blood count? Thank you Dr. for your advices.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 11 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Since you have mentioned now that these rashes are present above the blood vessels it might be some form of vasculitis. You will have to do full blood count along with that serological test and biochemistry are required.

You will have to get a complete physical checkup with a General physician and Dermatologist.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor