When can bowel movement be expected after a hiatal hernia surgery?

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've been on a clear liquid diet for 3 days and a full liquid diet for 3 days and tomorrow i'll start a soft diet. I haven't had a bowel movement since I started the clear liquid diet. Is this unusual if not we can I expect a bowel movement. When I start my soft diet can I soak my cerail in milk to soften it and eat it. The cerial has 13 grams of fiber which helps my diet to go to the bathroom. I had surgery to repair a hiatal hernia and the surgery and wraped my stomach my espahigas .
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is normal sir, BM after soft or solid diet

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

A liquid diet is usually advised to patients who cannot tolerate a solid diet (eg. during recovery after surgery, diarrhea, preparation for surgery, difficulty swallowing, etc.). Whilst on a liquid diet, the substances required for the individual to have a bowel movement (eg. fibre) are absent, which is why not having a bowel movement while being on the liquid diet is normal.

Yes sir, you should be able to have a bowel movement usually within 24-48 hours after shifting back to a soft or solid diet, but it may take a while longer in a few individuals. In such cases, laxatives are sometimes prescribed.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Is ok for me to soak my serial in milk to soften it up for the soft diet. The serial has 13 grams of fiber which helps me with a bowel movement. Is it ok to do this on a soft diet.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes sir, it is fine

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Yes sir, of course. It is fine for you to do so with your cereal on a soft diet regulation.

Hope this helps sir. Wishing you a rapid and effective recovery.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan