When can antidepression medicine taken for post partum depression be stopped?
could you pls suggest me whether she can stop the medicine?
what are the the side effects for prolong use?
Thanks for posting the query.
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. Your friend seems to be suffering from post partum depression.
2. Postpartum depression usually goes away during the months after delivery. Some women have symptoms for months or years as in your friend's case.
3. Since she is on antidepressants since 7 years, you should not abruptly stop the medication. You need to get her psychiatric evaluation done. Only then can it be decided to titrate the therapy or switch the therapy to some other drug or stop the therapy based on her evaluation findings.
4. Also remember that the depression is not treated alone with medications but psychotherapy is also required in combination. This means that a regular follow up with the psychiatrist is required.
5. Dizziness , drowsiness , nervousness & hair loss (alopecia) are some of the common side effects.
The severe side effects include abnormal thinking; change in menstrual period; changes in behavior; chest pain; confusion; dark, tarry, or bloody stools; dark urine; difficulty speaking; difficulty urinating or other urination problems; extreme tiredness; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; hearing loss; involuntary movements of the arms and legs; involuntary movements or chewing movements of the face, jaw, mouth, or tongue; joint pain; lack of energy; loss of appetite; loss of coordination; loss of seizure control; memory loss; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, depression, exaggerated feeling of well-being, hostility, impulsiveness, inability to sit still, irritability, panic attacks, restlessness); nosebleed; pounding in the chest; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; swelling of the arms or legs; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); tremor; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual weakness; vision changes or blurred vision; yellowing of the skin or eyes. If you notice any of these side effects, you should seek an urgent physician/psychiatrist referral.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.
Wish your friend good health and speedy recovery.
Take care and Regards,
Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of post-partum depression
- Symptoms of post-partum depression
- Hypermobility and post partum depression
- Treatment and cure for post-partum depression
- Post-partum depression causes
- What is the treatment for post partum depression
- Post partum depression circumcision
- Anti depressant medicines
- Drugs/medication for post-partum depression
- Hashimotos disease and post partum depression