Owl Image

How can Clonazepam be discontinued while on Omeprazole, Simvastatin and Citalopram?

Excellent
Question
I have been taking Clonanzepam for 6 months and would like to know how to withdraw from this drug.
The other drugs I take are Omeprazole once a day, Simvastatin once per day, Citalopram once per day, Levothyroxine once per day. I am a female 76 years old.
Thank you, XXXXXXX Stace
E-mail is YYYY@YYYY
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Tapering off of clonazepam needs to be done under the direct supervision of a doctor. The reason for this is that tapering off too quickly can result in withdrawal, tremor, seizures, coma, and death. This cannot be done on your own. Typically decreasing the dose by 10% per month is a safe way to begin, but again, this needs to be done under the direct supervision of the prescribing physician.

Dr. Sheppe