What causes increased heart rate in a patient with pneumonia?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: My sister is 67 and is in hospice care. She is unconscious and has not eaten or drank for nine days . Today I was told she has pneumonia , her heart rate is slowing down and her breathing has slowed down but yet she has opened her eyes and closed them .how long can she go on like this
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
prgnosis is poor

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
FIrst, I am sorry about your sister if she is in such bad condition.
It is always hard to predict lifetime especially in patients with multiple diseases and it depends on may factors such as heart, lung condition, nutrition and brain function.
But these vital signs that you mention are very bad and these are indicating last days in her life. If there is slowed breathing and heart rate then it means that there are no chances of recovery. ALthough, sometimes morphium may affect heat and respiratory rate.
I would say that you can expect the worst scenario within several days. Even if she survive more, she will be deeply unconcious in coma and I dont think that she can live more than 1-2 weeks unless nutrition is established and infection cured immediately.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T