What test should be done to detect HPV infection and what are the treatment available?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Yes My Girl friend had a Hpv developed , she is in Brasil,. how I can know if I have thr virus and how I can get treatment
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

First, there are some important facts you should know about HPV:

- HPV infection spreads from one person to another through sexual contact involving the anus, mouth, or vagina. You can spread the warts even if you do not see them (that I suppose that you already know)
- You may not see warts for 6 weeks to 6 months after becoming infected. You may not notice them for years.
- Not everyone who has come into contact with the HPV virus and genital warts will develop them.
- You are more likely to get genital warts and spread them more quickly if you:
- Have multiple sexual partners
- Do not know if you had sex with someone who had STIs
- Are sexually active at an early age
- Use tobacco and alcohol
- Have a viral infection such as herpes and are stressed at the same time
- Have a weakened immune system due to an illness or medication
- Most men who become infected with HPV never develop any symptoms or problems from the infection. However, they can pass it on to current and sometimes future sexual partners.
Now, how do you know if you actually have the infection or not?
Research studies have tested for and found HPV, including high-risk types (i.e. the types found in cancers), on fingers, mouth, saliva, anus, urethra, urine, semen, blood, scrotum and penis. However most research tests have used Dacron swabs and custom analysis not available to the general public. Although it is possible to test for HPV DNA in other kinds of infections,there are no FDA-approved tests for general screening in the United States or tests approved by the Canadian government, since the testing is inconclusive and considered medically unnecessary.
There are no specific current treatment for HPV, but however the viral infection clears off by itself in more than 90% of cases within 2 years. How ever if you manifest genital warts due to HPV, then the lesions can be treated by a doctor with topical lotions/creams.

Hope this helps and write back if you need any more clarifications

Dr Nsah