Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What should be done for high BP?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
yes. I am female 68 years old. My BP has been for 10= years in the high 130's over 90's. I am medicated with lypertrol (sorry) generic. 50 mg a day. Lately my BP has been in the 170's and above over high 90's to 110. I never have had an operation or an illness. I do have a hyaitial (sorry again) hernia that is petty much controlled. I have been told I have a heart murmer. Colonoscopy clean 8 years ago.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get examined / investigated / AND treated... Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic At this level of pressure, you need proper treatment. The problem is silent, leading to damage of target organs – kidney, heart, brain and eye. The range for the upper figure (Systolic) is 90 to 140 mm Hg. / The range for the lower figure (Diastolic) is 60 to 90 mm Hg. / 120-130/80 is ideal… There are several classes of drugs and several drugs in each class – Calcium channel blocker (ccb) / beta- blocker / Angiotensin converting enzyme (ace) inhibitor / Diuretic / Angiotensin receptor blocker (arb) / Direct renin inhibitor and so on See an Internist / get yourself examined / at times, basic investigation (ECG, ECHO, & Electrolytes, Kidney, Lipids) may be necessary... An ARB combined with CCB or diuretic is often the first choice. Your doctor will give appropriate prescription. Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor