What does a constriction in the descending colon indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Cancer
Question: I have a constriction in the descending colon cancer or scar tissue due to inflammation?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We need a bit more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Constriction in the colon may be benign, ie resulting from previous infection, ulcer, trauma, surgery, etc, or malignant, ie cancer.

In your case, we need a bit more info, like symptoms, duration, colonoscopy findings and CT scan reports, to have some idea regarding the cause.

I will be available for follow-up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 48 minutes later
“constriction in the colon may be benign, ie resulting from previous infection, ulcer, trauma, surgery, etc, or malignant, ie cancer.
In your case, we need a bit more info, like symptoms, duration, colonoscopy findings and CT scan reports, to have some idea regarding the cause.”

In XXXXXXX I had two minor perforations in my colon this was treated with antibiotics and after 15 days in the hospital I was discharged.
I had a colonoscopy in October, the doctor had to use a pediatric colonoscope to get by a constriction.
He took two biopsies. When I met him in November he said the biopsies were negative, the constriction might be a tumor that hadn’t gotten into the colon yet and recommended surgery.
I had fleeting pain on the left which has since cleared up and no longer occurring. The stool shows no flattening; I suspect the offal gets by the constriction and then reconstitutes before exiting
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely scar from infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information. It helps a lot.

Now I'm more in favor of it being a result of scarring from previous infection/perforation. A colonic tumor not getting detected by a colonoscopy is rare and that too after getting perforated. And from XXXXXXX to November, a cancer should have grown a lot. Which is not in your case. So possibility of tumor or cancer is quite low.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng