What does a constriction in the descending colon indicate?

Oncologist
Question
I have a constriction in the descending colon cancer or scar tissue due to inflammation?
Mon, 21 May 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We need a bit more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Constriction in the colon may be benign, ie resulting from previous infection, ulcer, trauma, surgery, etc, or malignant, ie cancer.

In your case, we need a bit more info, like symptoms, duration, colonoscopy findings and CT scan reports, to have some idea regarding the cause.

I will be available for follow-up.

Follow-up: What does a constriction in the descending colon indicate? 48 minutes later
“constriction in the colon may be benign, ie resulting from previous infection, ulcer, trauma, surgery, etc, or malignant, ie cancer.
In your case, we need a bit more info, like symptoms, duration, colonoscopy findings and CT scan reports, to have some idea regarding the cause.”

In XXXXXXX I had two minor perforations in my colon this was treated with antibiotics and after 15 days in the hospital I was discharged.
I had a colonoscopy in October, the doctor had to use a pediatric colonoscope to get by a constriction.
He took two biopsies. When I met him in November he said the biopsies were negative, the constriction might be a tumor that hadn’t gotten into the colon yet and recommended surgery.
I had fleeting pain on the left which has since cleared up and no longer occurring. The stool shows no flattening; I suspect the offal gets by the constriction and then reconstitutes before exiting

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely scar from infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information. It helps a lot.

Now I'm more in favor of it being a result of scarring from previous infection/perforation. A colonic tumor not getting detected by a colonoscopy is rare and that too after getting perforated. And from XXXXXXX to November, a cancer should have grown a lot. Which is not in your case. So possibility of tumor or cancer is quite low.

Hope this helps.