Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What medicine can be taken to postpone periods?

Answered by
Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 492 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Please share Periods Postpone Tablet Name.

Shall i take periods postpone tablet,, please share if any side effects on the same.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised Norehisterone.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.

You can postpone the menstrual periods with Norethisterone (Primolute-N) 5 Mg.
If you do not have any medical illness like migraine,diabetes,epilepsy,asthma,heart,liver problems you can take this tablet.

With my patients, I start this medicine three times a day for 3 days prior to your due date. It can be used as long as you want to postpone the periods but not more than 14 days. This is a prescription only medicine and your gynecologist will know about it.
You may get some known side effects like nausea,bloating,headache, spotting.These side effects disappear after stopping the medication.If these side effects persist then you need to discontinue the medication.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Norethisterone

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I have PCOD and prominent symptoms of it like facial hairs, lethargy , thinning of hair, irregular period with gaps of 2-3 months usually. I already have a kid of 10 years and my age is 38 years. I am quite heavy with 80 kgs weight as...

doctor1 MD

i took northisterone last cycle to delay my period which woked successfully....will my next period be due 4 weeks from day 1 of actual period or 4 weeks from date due if i hadnt taken northisterone? please can you advise many thanks

doctor1 MD

hi i am very worried, in XXXXXXX i did a surgery to remove two cyst on my ovary but it was not successful, becauz my gyn said that i had endometriosis and that the balder and the intestine was stuck to the ovary and she could not get to the cyst,...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have been taking Norethindrone Micronor 0.35mg for about a year and a half now. I was given this after my d&c surgery at age 58 to help with the change and to stop any heavy bleeding. It has worked well, a little bleeding about 3 or 4 times a year, and now I am wondering if I should continue and if so for how long? Until my body goes through the change?
Thank you, Gudrun

doctor1 MD

I recently had an FSH test and the level was quite high at 40. I am only 37 so i am wondering if it is possible that the following: NORETHINDRONE ACETATE 5MG TABLET could have caused the abnormally high reading?? I just finished taking it a few days before the test.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doc,

I wanted to postpone my period due to my date last month was on 2nd and i generally get periods 1/2 days the gyane had put me on Primolut Nor 10mg...and she prescribed 2tab for 3 days and then 1 tab for 7 days...and she said after you stop taking it you will have your period within a week....and she also suggested that 3 days after my period starts i shouldtake a contraceptive Pill ( Yasmine) for 21 days...but how ever i was not sure if i should be on medcines for so long so she said taking this contraceptive pill is your call...

However can you tell me if i should take this contraceptive pill?..also its been a day since it started taking Primolut Nor 10mg...everything seems fine but i have read online that there could be slight bleeding that true and is the bleeding after i stop taking this medicine irregulat & heavy with prolonged days?? im worried cz i have always had regular periods with heavy bleeding on 2 days out of 5 days.

Please help

doctor1 MD

when will i ovulate and become pregnant, please help in april i was given norethisterone 5mg tablets to get my periods started after having a baby. i only took a few out of the pack and my period came. Then i had a period 29th may which seemed normal. i am trying to get pregnant and i am hoping i will conceive this month( june) is there anyway that i wont ovulate and get pregant due to taking them tablets in april, please help i am so worried now.