• question-icon

What is the window period for HIV transmission after exposure?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: How long after risky behavior do you have to wait to get an accurate HIV test? Is it 6 mos or 10 years. because I always thought it was 6 mos, but then an LPN and this clinic said 10 years to wait before you can get an accurate positive or negative test. Maybe I misunderstood, can you clarify for me please?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Window period for HIV is 6-8 weeks, may be delayed up to 12 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
You had been given wrong information and guidance.
Widow period for HIV tests in a normal individual is within 3 months only. You can get a reliable and conclusive result within 3 months. Only with individuals on some immuno-suppressive drugs or some other immune deficient (very rare) conditions, it may extend up to 6 months and not beyond this period after the exposure.
In the presence of an HIV infection, one can remain asymptomatic till 10 years or even more, but their blood test will definitely reveal the infection.
I hope that I am clear and you got the information. If you have more queries feel free to ask.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist