Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for water retention in the region of knee?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
What is the treatment for water retention in the region of a knee?
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later

Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.

Water retention around the knee usually indicates an effusion. This is a collection of fluid secondary to an injury, inflammation or possibly arthritis. The underlying cause needs to be investigated and treated in order to have a lasting effect.

I would suggest you see an orthopedic doctor who may wish to investigate with an MRI scan.

In the meantime, keep the joint mobile with gentle exercises. A firm elastic knee support may help reduce the swelling. Elevate when possible. If painful, anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen may help.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor