Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for itchy white patches on my arms and legs?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12739 Questions
I woke up a week ago itching like crazy with white raised patches on my arms and legs. I don't think its an allergic reaction as I haven't used anything new, what could this be? Someone suggested a fungal infection as I use tanning beds, however antifungal creams have provided no relief and this does not seem to be getting better. My Dr. had no idea, just said it could be an allergic reaction and prescribed me Allegra, which has not helped, nor has the benedryl that I've been taking. The spots fade throughout the day but still itch, and when I wake up in the morning the spots are back. As a side note, I also have a swollen tonsil with white patches. I was tested for strep, mono, and had blood work done but everything was fine. Please help!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Itchy skin specially on forearms, hands and legs with small patches are suggestive of three main possibilities-

1. Scabies- it is a bug infestation and the main symptom is itching. An examination by dermatologist will help in the diagnosis. Recurrence is common, if not treated properly.
2.Allergy- may be to a food item you consume very often like gluten sensitivity. Try to remain on a gluten free diet for a few days and see if it gets relieved.
3. Eczema- Again itching and dryness causing the itching. An examination from your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will prescribe the drugs best for you. Many a times it has got seasonal associations also.

Meanwhile you can apply calamine lotion and a steroid(cortisone) based antiseptic cream on the area for symptomatic relief.

The tonsils with white patch are commonly due to infections or due to deposits of mucus or may be some blocked glands with tonsiliths. Only an examination by an ENT surgeon will help in diagnosis.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor