What is the recovery period after a laser lithotripsy for bladder stones?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: what is the expected recovery track and activity restrictions for laser lithotripsy for bladder stones by cystoscope with some dilation of the urethra as well? I run a horse farm and need to engage in strenuous work.

History: prostate Ca-2008; prostatectomy and pelvic radiation therapy; current PSA 0.01

Urine cytology: + for suspicious for urothelial carcinoma
FISH: - for bladder Ca
Cystoscope visualization: - for Ca
Pelvic CT: - for Ca; + for 1 small kidney stone

Current: 2 bladder stones—removed with laser cystoscope in hospital
urethral stricture (mild)-dilated as abov
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
For such procedures, recovery period is very short unless you have some serious comorbidities such as heart or lung disease. So it is recommended to rest 3-4 days after discharge. After it,if there is no pain,you can return to all daily activities and work. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 days later
Thank you for your thoughts. It has been 10 days and each day there is less pain; it is minor and intermittent now and Tylenol and Ibuprofen are sufficient.

My concern is strenuous activity (throwing bales of hay) and pounding on the pubic area while riding horses and possibly causing a return of hematuria, (which led to my recent urological evaluation) etc. Also, the procedure and 24 hour wearing of a catheter seem to have caused significant stress incontinence (this happened to me 2 years ago with the first bladder neck contracture repair), but it gradually improved. Also, fatigue has been present but is gradually improving.

Otherwise I am in excellent medical health, fit, low pulse rate, etc but had a thyroidectomy 6 months ago and take synthroid 137 mcg.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
well, you should delay such activities as much as you can since it could cause pain, but even if you ride horses and throw bales it shouldnt cause recurenece of hematuria if this was caused only by urinary stones. only if there was bleeding lesion such as ulcer or tumor in urinary bladder or ureter, such activities could theoretically cause rebleeding. but this wasnt described by your doctor. so if you start easily with these activiites,nothing serious can happen. incontinence should subside completely in short time unless some iatrogenic injury happened