Suggest treatment for cysts in the kidney

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Cyst in Left Kidney and Renal stones : In 2009 had urethral stricture and renal stones for which underwent stone removal and stenting. Then in March 2016 again had stone of 5-7mm which got flushed out in December 2016. But again in April 2017 got severe pain. In USG could not see the stoness properly. but basis the symptoms Urologist suggested to take Urimax tablet and Lasix for few days. On 6th days total 4 stones got flushed out. out of which one was too big may 7mm or more. But there was no blood in urine, micturation, fewer anything except pain untill stones passed out. from then i am taking more water on daily basis. But again started getting very mild pain in left side. I am not able to understand is this because of again chances of having kidney stone or due to CYST in kidney. I wanted to know whether Cyst can cause pain on & off and lead to some major complications. If it is only due to stone i am convinced that this can be managed some how. Please advise what should i do to avoid formation of stones and impact of CYST. Please give me solutions. somehow i am loosing hopes on quality life and lifespan. Please help
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to do some more tests.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can understand your concern.

You're worried about two diagnosis.
1. Recurrent renal stones.
2. Hepatic calcified cyst.

The calcified cyst is in liver on the CT scan,but renal on the ultrasound.
The CT scan is more accurate than the US scan.

1. tests to be done for finding out any reason for recurrent stone formation :
a. 24 hour urine calcium,phosphorus and uric acid.
b. s.calcium,phosphorus,uric acid and oxalate.
c. s.creatinine,LFT,RBS,and platelets.
d. CT-IVU.

2. tests to be done for the hepatic / renal cyst :
CT-IVU.

The CT-IVU will give a lot of clarity regarding the diagnosis and it's effect on
the kidney or liver.
Continue with drinking about three liters fluids daily.

Reply with the reports.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist