What is the purpose of an adenoidectomy?
Details as discussed below:
Thank you for your query.
1. Adenoidectomy is the surgical removal of adenoids. Adenoids are an aggregate of lymphoid (tonsil-like) tissue at the back of the nose.
2. In most people, adenoids hypertrophy between the ages of 3 to 7 years. Thereafter they regress and disappear by the age of 12 to 15 years.
3. Adenoidectomy is a dvised for severe nasal obstruction, mouth breathing, recurrent ear problems, failure to thrive and severity of changes in the facial skeleton known as 'adenoid facies'. There should also be a failure of at least 6 to 8 weeks of medical therapy.
4. Medical therapy should include a trial with nasal steroid sprays, anti-allergic, mucolytic medication, and regular stem inhalation. Initially antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and decongestant nasal drops should be used. Most children respond to this therapy.
5. Traditional blind curetting can be done under general anesthesia. Recent methods include endoscopic procedures assisted by microdebriders and coblation.
6. Upload any X-rays of the skull, lateral view, for adenoids (not the report); along with a description of the symptoms, details of medication taken, for an accurate assessment.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Green mucus after adenoidectomy
- Alternative to adenoidectomy
- Adenoidectomy "low body temperature"
- Adenoidectomy voice changer singer
- Excessive mucus after adenoidectomy
- Eye pain after adenoidectomy
- Stammering in children and adenoidectomy
- Disadvantages of adenoidectomy
- Tooth discoloration adenoidectomy
- Nosebleed adenoidectomy
- Can an energy drink prior to blood test increase RBC levels ?
- Unstable,unable to walk independently and properly,on Vertinal and...
- Flu symptoms,throat and roof of mouth sore,coughed bright red blood,any...
- Tingling sensation along right side face,3-4 times daily,sensation when...
- Pain,stiffness,swelling in knees,X-ray,arthritis developing,knee...
- Amoebriz dosage for adults and children
- Eustachian tube dysfunction, ear virus, sick on planes, scopolamine,...
- Pea sized nodule in tongue, painful, affecting speech, tooth pain, jaw...
- What causes jawline lumps?
- Double bypass, respiratory failure, nose bleeds, selective embolization