question-icon

What is the purpose of an adenoidectomy?

Posted on Thu, 3 Nov 2016
Question: I want to know about adenoidectomy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Details as discussed below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Adenoidectomy is the surgical removal of adenoids. Adenoids are an aggregate of lymphoid (tonsil-like) tissue at the back of the nose.

2. In most people, adenoids hypertrophy between the ages of 3 to 7 years. Thereafter they regress and disappear by the age of 12 to 15 years.

3. Adenoidectomy is a dvised for severe nasal obstruction, mouth breathing, recurrent ear problems, failure to thrive and severity of changes in the facial skeleton known as 'adenoid facies'. There should also be a failure of at least 6 to 8 weeks of medical therapy.

4. Medical therapy should include a trial with nasal steroid sprays, anti-allergic, mucolytic medication, and regular stem inhalation. Initially antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and decongestant nasal drops should be used. Most children respond to this therapy.

5. Traditional blind curetting can be done under general anesthesia. Recent methods include endoscopic procedures assisted by microdebriders and coblation.

6. Upload any X-rays of the skull, lateral view, for adenoids (not the report); along with a description of the symptoms, details of medication taken, for an accurate assessment.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist