Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

What is the possibility of pregnancy when suffering from Crohn's disease, fistula and eating disorder?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3614 Questions
37 yrs old female with crohns desease which i was diagnosed with at 17 yrs old.Ive had large amounts of my bowel,both bottom and top parts of my small and large intestines taken out at nurerous times throughtout the years,aswell i have suffered from a twisted bowel,had a fistula,had an eating disorder which saw my periods stop for roughly 8 yrs.Ive had a colostimy bag aswell but that was reversed due to further complications,and have been on and off prednisalone over the yrs which caused me to have the urgent breakdown on my bones esp my hips so have since had both of my hips VIP QUESTION FOR YOU PLEASE IS WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO HAVE CHILDREN? I HAVE A PARTNER AND WE HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR 2 OR SO YRS BUT NO LUCK.MY CURRENT MEDDS ARE:METHADONE,NUROFEN PLUS,PHENAGAN.I AM 5 FOOT 2 INCHES AND I WEIGHT APPROX 48 KGS. THANKYOU.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Odds for conception are low Detailed Answer: Good Day Miss XXXX! My name is Dr S XXXXXXX and i would like to help you regarding pregnancy with IBS issues. Miss XXXXXXX i am very sorry for your inflammatory bowel diseaases and all the troubles you have been through. Mis XXXXXXX Fertlity and conception is a natural marvelous process and it needs a smooth and comfortable zone to implant in. The more the age goes the less the odds become. Age of 18 or 21 conceives far easier than age of 37. But it does not mean not possible at 37. But it needs a helping hand like a fertility consultant with some assisted techniques. Now the Inflammatory bowel disease / Crohn disease you have been operated for, this issues decreases the odds for pregnancy further. Statistics show that rates of infertility are 38 % in post operative patients for Crohn's disease or Ulcrative colitis. The reason for that is the surgical interventions in pelvic area leads to a lot of adhesions and That leads to hampering of fertility odds. but still you have 60 to 62 % chance of getting pregnant this way. Third issue is your weight. You are almost cachectic with BMI Body Mass index of 19.97. Increase your BMI to at least 22 or above and below 25 and it will be a good omen for fertility odds. Now madam i want you to know that even if you conceived and have a baby the odds for your babies to have IBS are very high as this is familial and their chances of getting them are very high. So please consider that too. Rest assured there is nothing with the word impossible.A candle can burn in side water, a river can flow in reverse and so can you have a baby. My best wishes for that will be with you for ever. But remember you will need a fertility consultant so seek one and pay them a visit and let them assist you with some reproductive techniques as getting a baby on your own at this stage with these much troubles is quite difficult. The earlier you conceive the better it would be because after 40 other complications like ectopic pregnancies show up and troubles will multiply. Miss XXXXXXX hope this answer finds you in good faith.If you have any more queries please feel free to ask other wise i request you to kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Have a very good day and may the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr S XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the possibility of pregnancy when suffering from Crohn's disease, fistula and eating disorder? 21 minutes later
Thanks so much for all of the information you gave me in your reply to me. I appreciate the kind words and the encouragement to seek medical advice from a fertility specialist, that i will certainly do. Can you please advise me on how expensive is it to conceive via Ivf? Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Price varies per plans Detailed Answer: hello again Miss XXXX! You are welcome always , my patients are my family and i have to look after them. Now the cost and expanse for In Vito Fertilization really varies in different plans and insurances and consultants fees also varies. So it would be difficult to have a number but one thing is for sure it is an expensive procedure in states and the cost will definitely be in thousands of dollars. Hope you get some thing in your range of budget. I am sure you will. DO keep me posted please and let me know what happens. My cell number is +0000 my email is YYYY@YYYY and you can reach me on the site by asking Dr S Khan and they will refer you to me. My best wishes will follow you like a shadow. Dont forget to close the discussion please. regards Dr S Khan/ Shafi Ullah Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor