Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is the painful lump on my breast?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Hi i am a 32 year old bangladeshi woman, who has large breasts but i have noticed on my right breast slightly above the nipple a very tender area and pains to touch. I have been to the doctors and she said it seems like a infection. It feels like a lump and hurts very much especially when i take my bra off. I am not losing appetite and i am very worried about this. Is this cancer? Pls help me!
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It's more likely to inflammatory cause Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Cancer causing lumps of the breast are usually not associated with pain and tenderness. So from this its unlikely to be cancer. If your present swelling and pain is of short duration it's likely to be breast abscess or Fibroadenosis. Exact diagnosis will depend on good clinical examination and can be confirmed by Ultrasound scan of the breast . There is no cause for being worried about cancer for two reasons 1. Cancer does not produce pain and tenderness 2. Breast cancer can occur at any age but typically occurs at 45 to 50 years of age. As you are 34 , it's still more less likely to be cancer. I would suggest you to get an Ultrasound scan done in consultation with your Physician. Also 5 day course of antibiotic and anti inflammatory especially if there is redness in overlying area of breast will be helpful. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the painful lump on my breast? 6 hours later
Ok i have been given anti biotics aswel. Shall i take these and see first?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can start Antibioticcs as advised by dr Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Ms You can definitely try antibiotics. But if the abscess has already formed, then it will require Surgical drainage . It will require Clinico-Radiologicl assessment . Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor