• question-icon

What causes soreness in the right breast?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My right nipple and breast is very sore. Walking without a bra is tender. This just started today. I showered and did a breast exam and felt nothing unusual. Should I be concerned. I'm a 38 year old female, struggled to breast feed all 3 children and opted pumping only. This was over a year ago for my last child.

It's not my period time, though, I rarely have that symptom anyway.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal disturbances

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Tenderness in the nipple and the breasts are likely due to hormonal disturbances like excessive estrogen in the body or due to increased prolactin levels.
Fibroadenosis , which is due to increased levels of estrogen, is also one of the main cause of breast pain and nipple tenderness.
I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist and get a mammogram done to confirm the diagnosis and get appropriate treatment timely.
Chances of breast cancer in such a situation is nil.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine