What is the medical term for difficulty in swallowing?

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What is the medical term for difficulty in swallowing?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dysphagia

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dysphagia is the term for difficulty swallowing.

Odynophagia is the term for painful swallowing.

There are different causes for both.

If you are having dysphagia then you may want to consider being assessed by your doctor.
Causes of dysphagia include some of the following: (1) diseases of the brain and spinal cord such as stroke, a mass, infections , multiple sclerosis, dementia, parkinsons

(2)muscular disorders (conditions affecting the muscles making them have a hard time moving food down)

(3)side effect of medication

(4)hormonal causes such as abnormal level of thyroid hormone, low vitamin b12

(5)previous surgery

(6)esophagitis - inflammation of the esophagus

(7)problems with the structure of the esophagus eg presence of scar tissue, narrowing etc

Your doctor can refer you to an gastroenterologist (someone who specializes in issues with the esophagus, stomach, intestines)

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James