What is the life expectancy of someone with cardiac ischemia?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is the life expectancy for a 72 yr old man with a history of clogged arteries. Have had a quad bypass (2010) and currently suffer from a-fib. Treated with coumadin, ranexa, lisinopril,atorvastin, bisoprolol-hetz, amlodopine, a baby asprin and a nitro patch for angina. Need nitro pills about twice per month. The doctor said there is no major heart damage at this time but would not expect to perform any procedure for relief.
Currently have two arteries (lateral) that are over 70% blocked.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that your future prognosis (life expectancy) will depend on the severity of your ongoing cardiac ischemia and especially your actual cardiac performance.

As you are suffering persistent episodes of cardiac ischemia despite the full therapeutic medications strategy, it is recommended proceeding with coronary revascularization alternatives: percutaneous coronary angioplasty with eventual coronary stenting being the most acceptable alternative (as you are already a post-surgical patient).

Your two coronary arteries demonstrate anatomically and clinically severe stenotic lesion that deserve prompt intervention.

If those culprit coronary lesions are properly treated and your cardiac performance is preserved, then your life expectancy would be comparable with the other clinically normal individuals.

You need to discuss with your attending cardiologist on the above mentioned issues for reviewing the best alternative to conclude on the severity of cardiac ischemia issue and the modality of treatment.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri