• question-icon

What is the cause for itchy lower stomach and bruising?

Posted on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: I have had an itchy lower stomach for a few weeks. Yesterday I looked in the mirror and saw bruising. This morning the bruising is increasing. Your thoughts? I have sent a picture
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is either allergic rash or yeast infection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have seen the magnified picture sent by you. It is apparently either, an allergic rash or yeast infection. It is however, difficult to distinguish between the two conditions by merely seeing the picture. Did you shave on the affected part prior to occurrence of the rash? As the rash is exactly at the site of the panty lining, it points towards allergic in nature. On the other hand, shaving (in case you did) or use of hair removal cream had caused breach of the skin, through which the yeast penetrated inside, causing itchy rash. I would therefore recommend that :- * you please start wearing only pure cotton panties instead of those made of synthetic fabric. * Apply- thrice daily- an ointment containing a steroid + neomycin + miconazole/cotrimazole till the lesions disappear completely. This topical ointment is available OTC. * You take cetirizine tablet thrice daily till the itching disappears completely. * If you have the tendency to sweat excessively in the affected area, keep it dry and use talcum powder liberally. Nothing else needs to be done. It would be a good idea if you get your Blood sugar done to rule out/detect diabetes. Chronic fungal infection is frequently associated with known diabetes or underlying undiagnosed diabetes. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 16 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Just to give you a bit more info, I do not shave or use any hair removal cream in the area. Also, I can not see any rash or bumps, only bruising with an itch. I do wear Cotten underwear and don't sweat often. Does this change your opinion at all?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: The diagnosis remains the same Detailed Answer: No XXXXXXX The opinion remains the same. The advised treatment will certainly give you tremendous relief. If it is yeast infection (as I think it is), it will be cured permanently. Fond regards and enjoy your Sunday Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Dr. Rakesh Karanwal