Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What is the cause for flare ups in right side of my abdomen while suffering from appendicitis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
This is the third time I have hand this "flare-up" on the right side of my adomen.In the past I have had small sharp pains that happen quickly and go away quickly. Partial vaginal hysterectomy about 20 yrs ago. Still have appendicitis. The first time it continued for 2 days, I went to hospital, they ran tests and exrays and could not find anything to a tune of 11k. Second, appt was with OBGYN, he went ahead and ran exrays which nothing showed up again. Thought it was a pulled muscle. Took about 2 wks to go away. Gone for 3 wks and back again. I have a few pains that travel from one side of stomach to other as if you need BM. But it is sharp pains like a sharp object is being poked in your stomach that bothers me. Sharp pain that you never know when it is going to hit. It hurts to touch my skin. So I know it is not my ovaries or my appendicitis. I noticed there was less time between the second and third than the first and second. Thanks for any info that would head me in the right direction.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastric ulcer , gall stones Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Although you have mentioned that you have xrayed twice, it seems no USG was done for you. Gall stones could be a possible cause for tye kind of pains that you are stating. It causes acute sharp pains radiating to the skin and then going off completely. The same are visible on USG. Gastric ulcer or gastritis can present with such pains and will need an OGD scopy to ruoe out. If you find relief with tye use of anti acids like ranitidine or pantoprazole then that is the clue. Some times even vertebral compression of some intervetebral nerve root in some odd postures can lead to this kind of symptom but this should resokve with the change in the posture.. Oesophageal spasm can mimic this pain although occuring a bit higher. Iy resolves by self many times. Ureteric colic also comes to mind and can be rules out on a usg. Probably yu can discuss these options with your treating doctor. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor