What is the cause for bulging vein inside lower lip and what is the cure for fractured vertebrae post craniotomy?

Dr. Anshumala Singh

Dentist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Hi Doc, I had an accident a couple of months back and underwent a craniotomy and still have a fractured vertebrae. Once i came home from the hospital i noticed a bulging vein inside my lower lip. It was badly hurt apparently when i was brought into the hospital. Is it just an inflammation? It can be felt when i touch my lips like a slight protrusion and does not pain till my teeth accidentally hurt it sometimes. Can it be cured?
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details required Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Please provide me following details to answer better in this regard. 1.Presently what all medications are you taking? 2.Was there any suturing(stitching)done on your lower lip after you faced trauma? 3.Has the protrusion appeared recently ,please mention when did you notice it last? 4.Does your lip pains,and interferes while talking,chewing,speaking etc? 5.Any treatment done for your lower jaw or teeth after trauma?please mention? Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 days later
Thank you for the prompt response Doc. Here are the replies to your queries. 1. I'm not taking any medications right now except the occasional "Tylenol" to combat body aches some days 2. No there was no suturing as it was not ruptured. It healed on its own (outwardly atleast) 3. The protrusion appeared from the time of the accident. That's how i remember. At that time it was not felt so much since i could not feel much of my body due to the heavy painkillers. Now its just a slight bulging protrusion from the inside 4. My lip does not hurt. But yes sometimes when i eat and smile it rubs against my teeth (interference) and its just annoying! 5. No i have not undergone any teeth or jaw treatment at all. But yes, since i had sustained head injuries, i was unable to chew or open my mouth normally for a few weeks. Its normal now. Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be lipoma. Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. As you have mentioned in your history that there is no pain,swelling or redness seen or felt in and around your lower lip.Therefore it cannot be an inflammation. It could be a lipoma formed due to fat tissue deposition.Therefore it is best to see your oral and maxillofacial surgeon.In case of lipoma it can be very well corrected by simple surgical procedures. Please keep a check on size,if you find there is change in shape and size then there it is a matter of concern else please do not worry. Please let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E