What is the cause and treatment for ear pain with headache?

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I have a sharp pain in my ear accompanied by headache and none of the over the counter ear drops seem to be working (I was given two). I have been having it since Friday. Unfortunately, all walk-in clinics in Kamloops, BC, are booked solid and I was not able to find any doctor who would take the new patients... With luck, I am hoping to have an appointment tomorrow at one of the walk-in clinics and would appreciate any suggestions in the meantime. Currently I am taking Sudafed Sinus which seem to provide some relief, but I am not sure if I am doing the right thing. Thank you so much.XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: This may be otitis media Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this ear pain and headache that you have been having for these days. Your symptoms are suggestive of an ear infection that may need and antibiotic for treatment. Sudafed would really not help that much with this condition but I am happy to know that you are reporting some relief with this. The doctor would look into your ear with an instrument that has a light source through a magnifying glass. This will provide information on whether the ear is infected or not. Depending on the findings, the doctor would establish a management plan ans follow through to help resolve your symptoms. For the time being, pain medications like tylenol and ibuprofen would be able to help reduce the Pins while you gain time to get an appointment and get evaluated for proper management. I really hope you get the opportunity to do that tomorrow. I hope this helps. I wish you well and feel free to ask for more information or clarifications if need be. Thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah