• question-icon

What is the best treatment for the body odor caused by methotrexate?

Posted on Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What is the best treatment for the body odor caused by methotrexate?
XXXXXXX @ WWW.WWWW.WW
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 11 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
Methotrexate is given for psoriasis but Psoriasis is seldom itchy.
The musky body odour need not be related to methotrexate.
Can we be a little more specific about the chronology of events...date things started.
Please get back to me with some details including what soap you use, any change in environment, surroundings, stressors?
Cheers & await your response to take this further.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 hours later
I was in the midst of a detailed report when the screen went blank and my message was gone. I use All free laundry soap, Basis for bathing, Chlorbesterol for the itch which is almost gone since Methotrexate. I tried cetaphil, but had a bad reaction. currently I'm using Vaseline with Aloe or plain vaseline everywhere except the bottom of my feet
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 49 minutes later
Hi there.
Understand how you feel about typing a long message & then screens going blank on you...happens to me all the time :) Relax its a techy thing..that's why they still cant replace us doctors :)
Perhaps, if while using vaseline, you may want to sprinkle a little water on the skin & then layer the vaseline on top..it may help hydrate the skin 'better'!
Might i also recommend a 2% ketoconazole soap to be used in the groin & axillae & hair bearing regions where glands are aplently & leaving on the said soap for a period of 10-15 mts while bathing initially daily for a week & then on alternate days. This should address the odour issue.
Good Luck & wish you continued good health. Glad the itch is better :) Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist