What is the best medicine for productive cough?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Woke up with a productive cough. No fever or other symptoms. Cold feeling in chest. With the flu everywhere around here, I don’t want to risk going to urgent care. Hoping to get some antibiotics to start so it doesn’t progress into anything.
5 days ago in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take combination of levocetrizine and paracetamol.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Honestly speaking, there is no direct role of antibiotic in viral infection (flu).
Antibiotics are useful in bacterial infection.
Flu infection can lead to secondary bacterial infection and this needs antibiotics.
So doctors prescribe antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection.
You can take amoxicillin 500mg thrice daily.
This is prescribed drug so you will need doctor's prescription for antibiotic.
Along with antibiotics, you should also take levocetrizine and paracetamol combination twice daily.
Also drink plenty of water orally. Do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these in 2-3 days.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the best medicine for productive cough? 1 hour later
So you think I might already have the flu? Also, right ear just started to hurt. So far all I have is a cough and ear pain. What is levocetricene? Never heard of that. I figured out the other suggestion was Tylenol. Can you not prescribe the amoxicillin to have on hand In case this is a bacterial infection and in fact not the flu?

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Levocetrizine is antihistamine drug.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Sorry for late reply as I was busy.
Levocetrizine is antihistamine. It is must for the symptomatic relief of cold.
It is easily available over the counter with combination of paracetamol (Tylenol).
Combination is more effective than single Tylenol or levocetrizine.
And sorry to say but this forum is for suggestions only. I cannot prescribe drugs without physical examination. Medical ethics as well as laws of the state don't permit it.