What is safe period and side effects of sex boosting medicine?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Sexual Problems
Question: We usually hard about "safe period"-what is it?
What is the side effect free sex boosting medicine?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

"Safe period" refers to a time period in a woman's menstrual cycle when the chances of pregnancy are least. In other words, it may be "safe" to have sex during this period without the risk of pregnancy. Safe period is a natural method of birth control. In this method the woman has sex only during the "safe" period (i.e. infertile period) and avoids sex during the fertile period. Now, you should remember that the safe period method of birth control is not 100 % effective (effectiveness is only about 80%)

Now, how do we calculate this safe period?
First, you should know the duration of the cycle, i.e. first day of the last menstrual bleeding to the first day of the present menstrual bleeding. This is the duration of the menstrual cycle. This duration varies from person to person & is usually between 26 to 31 days.

Second, you must know when ovulation occurs. Ovulation approximately occurs in the middle of the cycle, i.e. duration of the cycle minus 14 days. There are also other effective methods of finding out the day of ovulation - by checking for rise in body temperature, checking the thickness of the vaginal secretions, etc.

One week before and one week after the approximate day of ovulation is Fertile period. The days apart from this is called the SAFE PERIOD, where the fertilization does not takes place.

I'll give you an example for this calculation:
If the duration of a woman's menstrual cycle is 28 days, then her day of ovulation will be:
Duration of cycle minus 14 days
i.e. 28 days minus 14 days = So, ovulation will occur on the 14th day.

So, fertile period will be 1 week befor and one week after the day of ovulation. So, the fertile period will be 8th day to 21st day.

So, the SAFE PERIOD will be 1st to 7th day and then 22nd to 28th day of the menstrual cycle.

Now, regarding your second question, there are different types of "sex boosting" medicines available. So, please specify which specific medicine you want to know about and I shall advise you accordingly.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist