• question-icon

What is meant by "focal subcortical bone marrow edema"?

Posted on Mon, 5 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What does it mean when the Doctor says you have focal subcoritcal bone marrow edema and greater tha expected heterogeneous marrow within the proximal shaft of the humerus
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
The marrow edema is suggestive of an inflammation in the area. This can happen due to an injury in the area. The heterogenous marrow is a non specific finding. It can be due to an inflammation or due to a tumor. In case it is persistent then bone marrow aspiration will be needed to find out the exact cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon